Monday 21 February 2011

WHAT A (WASTE OF) A DAY THAT WAS

Today I spent several hours playing Play Station 3 and hardly ventured outside at all. The Old Girl is working from home which means that she is using the broadband connection and alternating between her lap top and the desk computer so I didn't get a look in. I had some things to do re the Charity (plans, correspondence etc) but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I had bought on Trade Me a fairly new PS3 game - Medal of Honour Limited Edition. This is set in modern day Afghanistan and is pretty realistic in the weaponry, the landscape (lots of ravines, mountains, caves) and aircraft and vehicles. It is a first person shooter game but can be played on-line against others. I believe that Second does this but I can't be bothered doing that, competing with spotty faced teenagers around the world (hey, they might beat me). Actually I'm quite good at these games as I have a good eye for shooting having won rifle shooting trophies in the past. This game interests me because I am at present reading Shantaram a sort of autobiography by Gregory David Roberts.

greg-roberts-2-again.jpg
Gregory David Roberts

He is a thoroughly dislikable Australian and his adventures seem a bit too fantastic to be real. His 'autobiography' is about as real as Frank Harris' My Life and Loves. Apparently he was a drug addict and armed robber in Australia, imprisoned and escaped to go to Bombay where he lived in a slum, created a free health clinic and got involved with the Indian mafia. In the part I am up to now he travels to Afghanistan and fights with the Mujahedeen against the Russians. The description of Afghanistan mountain country is quite good however and this PS3 game seems to capture that as well.
Overall though it was a wasted day.


6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

You should have set the game on ridiculous settings - it works on my bass.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Time spent shooting people (even pretending) is seldom wasted.

BTW Have you changed a setting on your blog? the video clips are fine, but allof the images show only placeholders.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

They seem to have disappeared. I don't know why. I wonder if it is because I copied and pasted them rather than 'saved as' I 'm finding that it is becoming more and more difficult to save images. Is this a setting thing? I assumed that it was some sort of copyright issue but you don't appear to have any problems.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I think you have to save and then upload. I can still save images, but it seems to be taking longer and longer.

Anonymous said...

Where r u?
Have you been sucked into a black hole in Richard's finite universe?

Anonymous said...

Maybe you have gone back in time and are locked in a loop at Murray Robert's.