Monday 9 May 2011

ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE

We have had a few storms recently with high winds, water spouts and even a mini tornado which overturned the deck furniture, carried my kayak life-jackets out to sea and made my recycle bin disappear but today is absolutely marvellous. It is sunny and warm and there is no wind. Lovely.

The bay out the front today

I have a lot of work to do - the charity race-day planning, open polytechnic assignment and some real estate seminar preparation which is keeping me indoors most of the day but this afternoon I think I'll climb Mount Manaia.

Mount Manaia from the side deck today

It looks pretty good at the moment. This should be a couple of hours walk along and up a nice bush track to the top. The views from the summit are sensational, especially on a nice clear day like it is today.



Views from the summit and Lynn sitting on a ledge half way up.

7 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Wow! Lynn must have a head for heights!!!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It doesn't bother her as she doesn't have goolies (you know that strange feeling in the goolies you get when you lean over a really big drop). When we were at the cliffs of Mor in Ireland she just peered over the edge. I like heights but I crept up to the edge on my belly. In this photo the ledge is an overhang and when you look over the edge (I did it on my belly) it is a sheer drop of several hundred metres straight down to rocks below. I'll show you when we visit. I have a photo of her perched on a rock overhanging a sheer drop on the Milford track somewhere. I'll try and find it and scan it to show you.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I meant the cliffs of Moher. See if you can open this file.

http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tenfootsquare.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/cliffs-of-moher.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tenfootsquare.com/irelands-cliffs-of-moher-are-a-natural-wonder/&h=450&w=600&sz=79&tbnid=b1xzxdMt7a8jGM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcliffs%2Bof%2Bmoher%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=cliffs+of+moher&usg=__kYtS5h-6gzoifg2JLIwDyvfasfE=&sa=X&ei=ab_HTbDmKqPWiALhn43YBA&ved=0CEgQ9QEwAw

Richard (of RBB) said...

Wow! Those are cliffs!!!

"I'll show you when we visit."
Are you heading this way? There's always a bed here.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

You're very lucky to live in one of the most beautiful places in a beautiful country.
If you like heights, then I would recommend looking at this video. The intro is a bit long, but it then becomes riveting viewing.

http://www.liveleak.com/e/07b_1284580365

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ouch!
I just couldn't watch it all!
I hope they got down safely!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Actually, I would like to do that. The trick would be making sure you had a pee before going up.