Thursday 25 August 2011

BLACK AND BLUE KEEPER

I played some golf today. I was hitting some pretty amazing shots and all was going well until the par 4 4th. This is one of my favourite holes as it dog-legs around a stream hidden by trees and, to approach the green you have to hit over a stream and a massive oak tree. I had hit a good drive down the fairway and only needed a wedge shot over the tree and stream up to the elevated green. As the ground is till quite soft I chose a 9-iron instead of the wedge. I connected really well and the ball easily cleared the big tree and went  beyond the green............. to where two greenkeepers were chatting. It hit one of them on the upper arm then the mower before dropping next to the green. Bugger. I went up to see if he was OK and he showed me the mark on his arm where the ball hit. He pretended to punch me (I think he was pretending) and we laughed about it. His name is Blair and he lives three houses away from me in McLeod Bay. He will have a mighty bruise on his arm. It was lucky that the shot wasn't about a foot higher as it could have hit him in the head.



Years ago when I was about 9 or 10 I was playing golf at Berhampore Golf course. We were a bit slow I know but some men behind us got a bit grumpy and drove off over our heads. One of the bastards hit a low shot that hit me on the back of the neck. I dropped like a stone. He got a hell of a fright and came up all apologetic. My brother asked him what he was going to do about it and he fished around in his pocket and came up with two half-crown pieces. Five shillings. In 1962 this was a fortune and represented at least two weeks pocket money. For a while after this my brother would try and get me to get in the way of other golf balls. He was a bit of an entrepreneur in this way but it never happened again.


4 comments:

Valley Girl said...

Well I know what it is like to be hit in the face by a hockey ball. Happenned when I was 14. It fractured my cheek bone and my Mother made me give up the sport becuase she flet it was getting to rough for a young lady. This is in the days when we played on real grass not artifical turf liket hey do now. My bruise was a beauty. It was very embarrasing at school. Everyone asked me if my old man or BF had given me "the bash". I got so sick of being stared at. My form class though it was great though watching the bruise change colour over the weeks. I do plan to take up gold one day though

Anonymous said...

Sounds safer than golf.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I got hit by a bloody golf ball once - on the side of the head. Silly bloody game!

Anonymous said...

I do agree for once with the previous commenter. Why do people spend half the day whacking a small ball around the countryside while their dog/wife/son/sibbling waits at home forlorn? Time could be better spent in church contemplating the Eucharist.