Sunday 2 October 2011

BLOODY AUSSIES

I hate rugby League. It annoys the hell out of me - the brash and vulgar commentators (even worse than the Rugby ones), the stupid and repetitive play with tackle after tackle leading to the (planned for) and inevitable kick. Boring. Unfortunately the new game plays are making Rugby just as boring. Predictable. The randomness and excitement is disappearing.
I didn't always hate Rugby League. I played it for Marist as a kid before I played Soccer. The great Colin O'Neill (once captain of the Kiwis) was my coach. I was quite good at it but the stupid fucking Marist Brothers school wouldn't let us play League - we had to play Soccer or Rugby. Weird that since it was Marist I was playing for. I was brought up in a working class family and Rugby League was a working class sport. We played against teams with names such as  St George and Watersiders.
It was in the late 1980's when Australian Rugby League began to be televised and shown ad nauseam here. The fun went out of it for me with the stupid team names, the thuggish behaviour and the incredibly thick commentaries being a real turn off.


Somewhere along the line Rugby seems to have picked up much of the bad side of Rugby League and to me is becoming unwatchable too.
That said though, I watched the Manly vs. Warriors game on TV tonight. Why? Because I will support New Zealand when playing against Australia at tiddlywinks or marbles or anything.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I don't even know who won. Better go find out but I assume, from your tone, it wasn't the Warriors.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Agree. Bunch of thugs. Almost as bad as the English.