Sunday 2 October 2011

"I KNOW I AM GETTING BETTER AT GOLF BECAUSE I'M HITTING FEWER SPECTATORS" - GERALD FORD.

I've mentioned playing golf in previous posts. I may also have given some hints as to my ability in playing golf which, to be honest, is not great. I like being out there, usually on my own, to enjoy the walk, play a few holes well, forget about the bad ones and to find golf balls. In summary this sums up my golfing:


I put my name down for the club championships and for the last 3 Sundays have played in a tournament. The scores for the first two Sundays were atrocious but I still managed to make the 'cut' for the quarter-finals. The Old Girl was excited about that but I eventually broke down and told her that in the 'D' Grade (the 25 to 36 handicap players), the first 12 players go through. As there are only 8 of us we all go through. Today I played my first match play against another golfer. It turns out that they match the worst golfer (or at least the one who had the highest scores in the two previous weeks) with the best in each grade. I was of course the worst and was matched with the best. Well, bugger me, I played quite well this morning. This can be summed up by:


I won the round, on handicap play obviously but was playing well below my handicap with only a few outrageously bad shots (two in a row out into the harbour). My competitor looked at me sideways a couple of times and in jest queried my handicap.

The weather was terrible. It has been stormy here for several days and today, while the wind has dropped, it has been raining steadily. I was saturated.


I had considered calling in to cancel as yesterday and last night I have felt unwell (sore throat, chest pains, cough etc.) but thought that might be disruptive so I persevered. I was pleased to get home in the early afternoon though. I have just had a hot bath and enjoyed a hot lemon, whisky and honey concoction while listening to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.


Life is good and I am starting to feel better. Next week I will be in the semi-final. I'll have to be careful that this doesn't sum me up:


5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well done old fella. Are you still going to China?

Richard (of RBB) said...

In the only golf tournament I played in I cheated and finished 2nd to last - missing out on a good prize for being the worst golfer.

Anonymous said...

"I was saturated."
There are operations that can help these days!

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

"Golf is a good walk spoiled."
And I should know, seeing the bloody game originated in dear old water-sodden Alba.
Well done nevertheless.

You managed to hit the thing less often than anyone else; and this deserves a prize?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"In the only golf tournament I played in I cheated and finished 2nd to last - missing out on a good prize for being the worst golfer."

Was that the Wrightson's tournament at Marton?