Saturday 24 March 2012

I CUT DOWN TREES...

....I wear high heels
suspenders and a bra
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear Papa
(from Monty Python's Lumberjack Song)

When we arrived home last night we discovered that the storm during the week had knocked over a large tree and it was blocking the driveway.

No, not this tree but you get the idea.


Today I had to chop it up and remove it. Now I'm not one of those Hammer Hardware blokes nor an obsessive DIY joker like Second so I don't have chainsaws, grappling gear, chains and hawsers. No, I just have my handsaw and a small hatchet.



The job took for ages but I got it done and loaded into the caged trailer which fortunately I relicensed last week. Unfortunately the WOF has run out but bugger if I'm going to unload all the branches, trunk bits and other rubbish to take it to the garage. I'll just have to risk it.

The hose is OK but there must have been some torrential rain as the earth base under the house is saturated. The rain must have sluiced off the hills up back and gone under the house as well as down the drive. Bugger! It willtake ages to dry out. Next summer the plan will be to put extra drainage up the back. Oh, that and a new roof that the Old Girl wants (the current one is serviceable but has salt stains from being by the sea), paving out the back, maybe a garage, glass frontage for the deck .....Lotto!

14 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

"The hose is OK but..."
I hope you're referring to the garden hose. We don't really need to know personal stuff.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"The hose is OK but..."
I hope you're referring to the garden hose. We don't really need to know personal stuff.

Valley Girl said...

I think he means the horse RBB.
What about your cat? Cats hate water, particularly rain. Mine would've hidden unde a bed or in a wardrobe. She's such a pussy.

Valley Girl said...

Or maybe he actually means the House? Typos can lead to so much confusion and misinterpretation, even to speakers of english.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Ha. ha. ha ....laugh? I couldn't stop. What wits.
Still, it promoted a lot of comments.
I know what I'll do next. I'll just write a post made up of spelling and grammatical errors. No, its been done to death already. People will just think it is a post by Second Fiddle with Valley Girl's input.

Anonymous said...

"The job took for ages but I got it done and loaded into the caged trailer which fortunately I relicensed last week. Unfortunately the WOF has run out but bugger if I'm going to unload all the branches, trunk bits and other rubbish to take it to the garage. I'll just have to risk it."

An exquisite example of the literary devices made famous by Erny Wise. I can see this being posted on the walls of primary schools and acclaimed by educators etc.

THE WINE GUY said...

"What do you think of it so far?"

"Ruggish!"

THE WINE GUY said...

By the way Second. Well done on the spelling and grammar.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even use a spelling check.. i was a bit worried about "exquisite" though!

Richard (of RBB) said...

"An exquisite example of the literary devices made famous by Erny Wise. I can see this being posted on the walls of primary schools and acclaimed by educators etc."
Sorry Rob, it's actually Ernie Wise.
So close...

Richard (of RBB) said...

"An exquisite example of the literary devices made famous by Erny Wise. I can see this being posted on the walls of primary schools and acclaimed by educators etc."
Sorry Rob, it's actually Ernie Wise.
So close...

Richard (of RBB) said...

Why am I saying everything twice? Okay, Comeinyourpants will probably reply that I did that last night too!

THE WINE GUY said...

Because nobody listens the first time?

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

The one thing I miss since selling-up our lifestyle block is using the chainsaw every day