Saturday 7 April 2012

BEING A WUSS

We went to Ocean Beach today. The storms of the last few weeks have had quite an effect in the area. Apart from the obligatory slips a lot of the beaches around the coast have lost their sand. A few months ago when we were at Smugglers Bay there was so much sand on the beach that it covered the steps to the boardwalk that leads to the path over the hills. Now most of the sand has been stripped away leaving hard stones and rock. I hope it returns soon.
At Ocean Beach whilst there is still billions of tons of sand a lot has been washed out leaving it flatter. There are streams bisecting the beach here and there that have to be waded through. At the first, not wanting to get my feet wet as I was wearing running shoes, I summoned up the Old Girl to piggyback me across which she duly did much to the amusement and indignation of our friends who were with us.

.

Sort of like this





                                                                                                   But more likely like this


This isn't the first time that the Old Girl has piggy backed me across streams. Early on in our relationship she carried me across a stream at Watipu Beach on Auckland's West Coast to the amazement of a bunch of surfies.

.


Years ago, when I went on a tramping trip somewhere in the Wairarapa with Suzanne my girlfriend who was a member of a local tramping club, the trip took us through caves and deep ravines. At one point when the water was up to waist height someone said there were eels in the water. "Carry me" I said to Suzanne who duly did for about 50 metres along to higher ground. The tramping club hard men looked on disdainfully. I didn't care as I thought they were wankers and only did it to rile them. Suzanne, apart from being gorgeous was also very strong so it didn't faze her.







I kind of like doing things that upset people's normal expectations of the order of things. It happens less often now but when the Old Girl and I would dine out at a fancy restaurant and if the wine waiter ignored her and gave the wine list to me, I would make a point of handing it across to her and directing the waiter to ask her what she wanted. Often, when a poncy git would bring the bottle she ordered, he would pour a portion in my glass to taste to check that the wine is OK. I would hand the glass over to the Old Girl to test and give an opinion. I loved it when there was a fault in the wine (TCA - cork taint) and he had to replace the bottle.

.


4 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Good for you.
On a larger scale, when we were shopping for a convertible sports car for my Beloved in Lower Hutt, the salesman approched me and asked what I was looking for.
I indicated my Beloved and said "This lovely lady is the decision maker, and the buyer. I would suggest you direct your attention towards her."

He got the message, and to be fair, after my Beloved had actually bought the car (cash), it was delivered with a bunch of red roses with the card saying "sorry".

Smug brown-nosing git.

Anonymous said...

That is normal TSB... but to expect your wife to carry you through life ; not to mention across rivers?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks TSB - you understand.

Second Fiddle - If you don't understand yet that a wife carries her man through life then you never will.

Anonymous said...

Is that free advice or do I have to pay?