Tuesday 3 April 2012

DAY TWO ....

.... of the fitness regime

I worked a bit later this evening so didn't get home until nearly 6. Although it was still light I frankly didn't feel like the walk. I fossicked in the fridge, cupboards and freezer and found:
  • A small amount of lamb mince (note: lamb mince is the absolute best for making mince, spaghetti Bolognaise, hamburgers, meatballs etc).
  • A bit of pumpkin
  • Potatoes
  • Frozen peas
  • Red wine ( half a bottle of Pinot Noir in the freezer)
  • Some salami
  • Chicken stock (the Old Girl makes her own and freezes it in small containers - never, ever use that store bought poison).
  • Garlic, ginger, chillies, herbs and spices.
  • An onion
  • Milk.
  • Parmesan cheese.
  • A half jar of red capsicum.
  • Bits and pieces of other stuff.
We have been keeping the larder a bit bare during the week as we do the proper cooking up North on the weekends. Tonight the Old Girl is out cavorting at wine bars and tapas places so........MINCE!.
My version of mince, not that insipid bland stuff that your granny used to make. All thoughts of a walk (if they had been there) are gone and I set to - thawing, sawing, sauteeing and mixing.
First on the agenda was microwaving the frozen wine. Overdone - it was a tad warm. Never mind as cold bottles of water in the fridge once 'soda'flo'd' became a cool and delicious additive to the wine while I was cooking.
Mince and garlic mashed potatoes. Yum. My only regret is that I didn't have carrots as when the Old Girl is here they are banned from being added to mince ( I grate them and add to the Bolognaise sauce so they go unnoticed there).
I'm a pig in shit which is probably a bad expression to use as all this activity is in place of exercise. Nevermind, it woulfd have all been wasted anyway as she gave me permission to finish off the best ice-cream ever : Movenpick 'Caramelita'

7 comments:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I have just had my meal. Brilliant!
Sometimes you don't have to plan a meal, just use up what you have.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"I'm a pig in shit."
Think for a moment about how the toilet is going to feel. Let's hope it is not as mad as on that Mangaweka visit all those years ago.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"I'm a pig in shit."
Think for a moment about how the toilet is going to feel. Let's hope it is not as mad as on that Mangaweka visit all those years ago.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Sorry, I'm still saying everything twice.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Sounds excellent. Did you add chili?
I agree with you about the carrots, mince doesn't seem as nice without it.
Did you add butter and cream to the garlic mashed spuds?

Lastly, what on earth is "'soda'flo'd'"?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

1. Yes, lots of chilli
2. Butter and milk to the mash
3. Soda flo machine that makes soda water

Anonymous said...

Sue's off to bed.
She has left me sausages, wedges and lausagna.
Yum.