Sunday 8 April 2012

SORE THIGHS AND SHITTY FEET

We went for a long walk today. The weather has been great - hot and sunny and better than Christmas.
We took the Busby Head track past the gun emplacements. I could feel the 'health' coursing through my veins but I could also feel the burn and the tightening in my thighs as I am a bit out of condition.
Busby Head is half way along the walk and affords a stunning view out West towards the Hen and Chicken islands. It was so clear today that I could see way past them to Little Barrier Island and even the far-off lurking presence of Great Barrier Island.

Busby Head may have been named after a busby


as it does have this shape, but it could have also been named after James Busby particularly if he hadn't had a haircut for a while.

James Busby, having had his hair cut for the portrait

On the walk I was able to continue writing my chidren's novel (in my head). Grist to the mill was seeing a Japanese gentleman lurking in the bushes and later a woman asking me if she had seen her little girl who was missing. I of course added these into my novel (set in 1941, the boys didn't believe the girl when she said that she saw a Japanese guy. "There aren't any Japs around here one of the boys said and besides we're not at war with Japan. Now if you'd seen a German that'd be another matter". The girl, knowing full well what she'd seen later went back to the Busby Head track and, again seeing the Japanese man decided to follow him............. of course the girl gets kidapped by the Jap spy and has to be rescued by the boys (whose fathers are away fighting in the Western Desert and the invalided Navy Commander based at Whangarei port..... )

We went by Smugglers Bay (now largely denuded of sand but sadly still not exposing any crates of contraband whisky) and back over the farmlands to Urquart's Bay. I would nudge the Old Girl off the path into cow-shit whenever I saw a big pile. She wasn't impressed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and the invalided Navy Commander based at Whangarei port.....
sees all this happen at the heads through his telescope. Racing to his kayak in his wheel chair, which he abandons on the beach, he is able to make good speed due to his powerful upper body strength and rounding the Busby he catches sight of the Japanese, the girl is no where to be seen alas ....

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks Second, we will let you know.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I hope the olg girl hit you, or took away privileges.