Tuesday 12 June 2012

NOISES OFF

I had a phone call from someone wanting to sell radio advertising today:

Caller: Hello, how are you. Do you like rugby? Wasn't the game on Saturday awesome?

Me (what I wanted to say): I don't watch rugby. I hate the game. Why would I want to watch a bunch of overpaid, over-muscled, future wife-beating jocks on steroids running about chasing a stupid ball for no better reason than another entry in the statistics?

Me (what I said): Yes. I thought that the Irish played well.

Caller: Oh yes. The weather's getting cold.

Me: Mmmm.

Caller: I'm calling from the ZB network. You have been especially selected for a great package deal for your radio advertising. We....

Me: We don't use radio advertising.

Caller: ......can put together  something suitable for you with maximum tarps reaching your taget....Oh.

Me: We don't use radio advertising.

Caller Why is that?

Me: There are too many radio stations and the reach is spread too thin.

Caller: Oh. What radio station do you listen to?

Me: I only listen to National Radio and the Concert Station.

Caller: Oh. Why .....

Me: No advertising.

Caller: Oh, but...

Me: I can't think of anything worse listening, while stuck in my car, to a lot of music that there is less than 5% chance I'll like..

Caller: But ...

Me: ... with every unwanted tune being interupted by a loud mouthed poorly educated and rude radio hack making inane observations on the weather, the Kardashians, oppossums in Australia's PM's garden or the dubious merits of the royal sister-in law's bum..

Caller But..

Me: ...and on every hour and half hour a pathetic, sound bite oriented snapshot of news carefully selected to be headline-grabbing, salacious, titillating or vulgar...

Calller: I know but...

Me: and if I switch channels I'll likely get some right wing, red neck boor like Leighton Smith or worse, Michael Laws sucking up to Shonkey or bashing the elderly, the unemployed, environmentalists or anyone sensible enough to vote Labour..

Caller: ..............................

Me: Hello. Hello.


3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I had a Christian caller hang up on me.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Go the Curmudgeon.

Can I forward my random calls about house/contents insurance, insulation, double glazing etc. to you so you can shut them up?

Please?

BTW, I agree, I've stopped listening to any radio for the last year. Just listen to my audio books and music on my iPod.

I used to listen to Talk Radio, but I got so f*cking irritated at the minimal amount of ability most people seemed to have to express themselves clearly and cogently that I was starting to smash my head against the windscreen...not a good sign.

Bunny Hoskins said...

I'm chewin the carrot over which radio station is best.