Friday 3 August 2012

BECAUSE IT'S FRIDAY FOR PHÛK’S SAKE

We live in Auckland's CBD during the week and are spoiled for choice with many cafes nearby.
As we live next to Auckland University and AUT most of these are affordable and interesting with Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Korean, Indonesian and others galore. Within easy walking distance (no driving required) are wine bars, pubs, theatres and restaurants.

Tonight I am staying in Auckland as I am working tomorrow at The Food Show and, as The Old Girl is up North I decided to have fish and chips for tea.



Walking from High Street, up Queen Street, Wakefield Street, Symond Street I looked for a good old-fashioned 'greasy shop' and checked out all the Asia restaurants to see if any did fish and chip takeaways. There were none and none did.

Bugger!

I like the Chinese, Japanese and Thai places usually but tonight was Friday Dammit! I just wanted plain old fish and chips, something that the suburbs offer in plenty.

11 comments:

Robert and the Catholics said...

kENTUCKY FRIED ... YUM!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Kentuck Fried fat, battery reared debeaked chickens and other assorted disgusting looking and smelling shit.
Not 'Yum' in my books.

Richard (of RBB) said...

George worked at KFC for a while and he used to come home with his trousers and shoes coated in fat.

Robert and the Catholics said...

At one place I work they have a chart with little packages of fat or sugar. Yes kentucky is up there but surprisingly so is honey and oranges

Richard (of RBB) said...

Deep fried food, Second, is probably not as beneficial for the body as an orange. Though I could be wrong.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

What about deep fried orange roughie?

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

KFC is crap, and for some reason, the NZ version is the worst I've tried. I'm with TC on this one. Nice semi-crisp homemade chips and battered Tarakihi is the best, especially wrapped in newspaper, if the health Nazis allowed it.

Robert and the Catholics said...

Happy Birthday Peter.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks Second.
I'm supposed to be going out to a fancy restaurant tonight but feel crook so won't taste a thing if I go. It might as well be KFC.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Happy Birthday TC, and many more, with plenty of vino.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Geff called in with a bottle of 2003 Dom Perignon before we went out to dine. Actually we went to Dine - Peter Gordon's restaurant. That and the Champagne to start were sumptuous