Sunday 23 September 2012

NOSTALGIA AND DELIGHT

The other day we went to see Moonrise Kingdom, the new Wes Anderson film.
For anyone who hasn't yet seen this delightful and whimsical creation I implore you to do so. It is special.


Although set in USA in a fictionalised New England setting the film rings bells for me.

One of the main characters, Sam is a boy scout and in his running away he employs the skills he has learnt as a scout and lives out his fantasies, carrying his air rifle like Davy Crocket and negotiating his way across an island prior to a big storm.

I wasn't a boy scout as I never liked to belong to clubs but I used to love camping in the bush and around the Wellington coastline. I had an air rifle and fantasised being a cowboy or a soldier taking out the bad guys.

Sam wore a Davy Crocket hat. I had a Davy Crocket hat.


The serendipitous thing for me was that the film was set in the American summer of 1965. Sam was 12 years old. In (New Zealand winter of) 1965 I was 12 going on 13 (as was Richard (of RBB)).

This helped in the magic for me.

1 comment:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I never had a Davey Crocket hat.

*envy*