Tuesday 8 January 2013

EVERY PICTURE TELLS A STORY

 ..... sometimes.

If you can get your camera to work.

Today The Old Girl and I were watching a vid on You Tube of a kayaker in the bay where we live surrounded by Orca. He videoed it. See here:

ORCA IN MCLEOD BAY

The Old Girl then visited a neighbour and a few minutes later phoned me to tell me to look outside.
Two dolphin were fishing/playing in the bay, at the beach outside our house.

I grabbed my camera and took the kayak down and launched it.

The water was extremely choppy, way more 'wavy' than I like and normally I wouldn't venture out in those conditions but I wanted to check out if the dolphins were in trouble or not as we haven't seen them so close to the shoreline before.


















It felt like this

They were swimming around the swimming platform and the moored boats and coming into really shallow water. There appeared to be a mother and a younger one.


I had trouble getting the kayak out as the waves were fairly big but eventually got to where they were. They swam around me and came close and slapped their tails on the water. I took this as a sign that they were OK and wanted me to bugger off which I did.


The waves were big enough to make maneuvering the kayak difficult and which also meant that trying to take photographs was almost impossible while trying to steady the craft, hold the paddle and take a photo. I gave it a go as this was the best opportunity I had ever had for a close up dolphin shot and thought I had got a couple of good ones. It was quite a thrill having the dolphin(s) come up right by the kayak and under it. The Old Girl swam out and joined us and the dolphin(s) came really close to her to check her out. They stayed there for nearly an hour before moving away.

Unfortunately the spray was severe and try as I might to keep the camera dry it still got wet and stopped. I thought it was because the battery was flat but on trying to charge it now it won't activate so I think its buggered.

RIP Canon G5

BEFORE


AFTER


Oh well, the experience was worth it.
If I can't get the camera going again I'll buy a waterproof one next time.



2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Dolphins are just stupid fish, just like cyclists are stupid motorists who seem to want to die.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hey Welcome back Mr Hokum.