Saturday 11 May 2013

CH..CH..CH..CH..CHANGES



There's always something new around the corner.
Last week I had a second interview for a property manager job with a real estate company and they told me that with my business experience they would like me to join them in their newly established commercial sales department. A meeting to go over this was scheduled for next Monday.

Meanwhile, The Old Girl has been 'head-hunted' for a position with a rival engineering company in Auckland.

We were both then considering these changes to our respective employment.

On Friday, virtually out of the blue The Old Girl was offered a job in Toronto, Canada with the same company she currently works for. It is a similar position to the one she is currently in and they need her expertise to help them develop the business there.
We have discussed this and decided that, at our age it is too good an opportunity to miss so on Monday she will accept the job. It will be an adventure.

FROM HERE - Auckland


TO HERE - Toronto


There are some issues to be worked out like relocation, salary, timing etc. but her employers are going to work on obtaining a partner's work permit for me so I may be able to get a job there.
It's all very exciting (and daunting) but I've resigned myself to it and will resign from my current job on Tuesday.

When we moved up North 3 and 1/2 yeas ago we said that this would be our last move. Famous last words. Now we have to go through the exercise again but with the added complication of relocating overseas.

My biggest concern has been Willow the cat. I have been worrying about this overnight but this morning my sister, who has a large (and safe) property in Auckland said that she would adopt Willow. This is a good result. Their house is cat-friendly and they have big gardens with a few acres of land around it. My sister loves Willow and is keen to have her.

We will rent out the house and the apartment in Auckland so no worries there but we'll have to sort out all of our stuff. I have drawn up lists of store, sell, giveaway and leave so will be busy over the next month or so sorting this out. It gives us a chance to junk a lot of stuff too so I'll be going to and fro to the tip for a bit.

The Old Girl is likely to go to Canada in a couple of months and I'll follow later.

This is likely to be for at least two years, maybe more. It's a great chance to travel while being paid and to spend time in New York, UK (where the 'mother-in-law' lives) and other parts of Canada and USA.


10 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good on you, old mate!
And it'll be good for my blog's Canadian ratings! (Well, I am already big somewhere in the Eastern Block) Might as well have adventures. You go girl!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Maybe the bass bag bus station could expand internationally.
It could be a port or an airport.

There will be a place to stay for you and Shelley in Toronto when you do your sabbatical.

Tracey said...

Wow! Seriously jealous. Still, as long as you keep blogging this doesn't need to impact negatively on me ... so you have my blessing, especially since Willow will be OK.

Richard (of RBB) said...

..oh, yes, a relief for me about the bloody cat too. I too could have lost a night's sleep.

WV = mention tfcaoth.
I think they're talking about the cat.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Be some interesting kayaking on Lake Ontario.
How do they get to and fro from that airport on the island?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

By kayak?

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Na, I guessing an underwater tunnel.

Valley Girl said...

Congratulations TC. You and your Mrs are brave taking on such an adventure, but like you say the opportunity is to good to resist. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Your puss will be fine I am sure.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Play that bit of music, on your post, to the cat and he won't be back. Problem solved. Hey, no need to thank me.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

W.v. Is misrygutz
Say no more