Friday 17 May 2013

IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME A COMING....

This Sam Cooke song has been part of my life for nearly 50 years. I guess I've always been looking for a change that's 'gonna' come - that's the dreamer in me or probably more like the lazy bastard who's waiting for the next best thing.

Unlike Sam Cooke I haven't experienced the wrong end of racism or been subjected to blatant and stupid unfairness because of the colour of my skin.





Cooke wrote and recorded the song in 1963 and it was released in 1964.  I remember first hearing it when I was in the third form at school in 1966. It's still powerful (although, due to the Motown era a mite over-produced).

I like some cover versions as well and there have been many. To me the best are by:

Al Green  Al Green "A Change is Gonna Come"


Three Dog Night  Three Dog Night "A Change is Gonna Come"


Patti LaBelle    Patti LaBelle "A Change is Gonna Come"

(Thank you You Tube).

It has always had resonance with me and tonight even more so.

1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I hope all is going well with your plans, The Canadian.