Monday 8 July 2013

TRADING PLACES

When I go to Canada, if I can't get a job I think I'll train in some sort of trade.

I've mentioned before of the problems getting tradespeople to do a job of work up here. See:


It is extremely frustrating when trying to get a job done that you have to contact at least three tradespeople before you get a call back. This week, because we are leaving for a few years I've had to arrange chimney sweeping, house cleaning, furniture removal, roof inspection and garden maintenance.
On each requirement the first and often the second tradesperson/company I have contacted via their listed telephone and e-mail contacts have failed to respond. It is usually, after losing a couple of days precious time, that the third contact comes through (and gets the contract). What the hell is wrong with these people? I understand that often they are individual traders and are out doing the job during the day but why advertise if you don't follow up? Their problems are in:


  • Administration
  • Marketing
  • PR
  • Advertising
These are all things I have (had to do) done in my jobs over the last 30 years. Onerous I know but it brings results.


I've suggested to the Old Girl before that I could be a tradesman. After she's picked herself up off the floor laughing she's said no, that's not a good idea. See:


But I reckon with a bit of training I'll be 'home and hosed".
All I've got to do is advertise, market, respond to requests for information and then do.

If I can't do I'll 'get a man in' to do it.




1 comment:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Roof guy came back after 2 months. Had a chat and haven't heard from him for 2 weeks.
Furniture removals contacted after 3 days. Job done
Chimney sweep must have gone up in smoke - haven't heard back.
Cleaning people don't answer e-mails or phone messages - must have gone down the toilet.
Pest control - no response to phone and e-mail requests had to contact another - got response 2 days later.