Wednesday 30 October 2013

IT'S NOT JUST ME, SURELY...

...there must be others out there who are pissed off with panhandlers.


Not this


Nor this


But these

In Auckland over the last couple of years these jokers have multiplied. See Here

 In Toronto they are in your face everywhere.

We have a standing direct debit for payment to three charities in New Zealand. These are charities that have meaning for us. I don't see any reason to shell out money to tossers who stand there demanding it.

I do occasionally drop money into a buskers music case but usually only if they are playing anything decent. I see no reason to reward them if the racket is offensive. It does make me laugh though when I see some joker with a couple of thousand dollars worth of saxophone or whatever, begging for money from hard working people who are probably in debt up to their eyeballs.

Sometimes I ask the panhandlers for a loan, like the other night when I came out of a winebar and this guy came right up to me and said that he needed a top up on his benefit money. I told him that I haven't earned any money for four months so maybe he could help me out from his benefit money. He looked a bit nonplussed and moved away.

2 comments:

Valley Girl said...

Yep I know where you are coming from. Just got back from a week in Sydney visiting family over there. It was interesting to note that the same beggars are in exactly the same spots in George and Pitt Streets, as were there when I last visited in December last year wiuth my daughter. My husband was not impressed when I mentioned this. "Ah Professional Bludgers eh?" he commented. I noticed one apparently homeless chap on the train out to Cremorne one day, getting off just before Cremorne. Probably going home to have a shower and a feed. I seriously doubt how many of theses so called beggars are genuine and therefore so not give them any money. They are seriously trying it on, and it appears it is happening all over the world.

Richard (of RBB) said...

It's not just you, Nanook, but don't call me Shirley.