Friday 14 March 2014

MORE OF THE SAME

When I was in my late teens I wore 'Beatle' boots.


These were black leather calf length boots with fairly high Cuban heels.
The heels made me taller although that wasn't the intention. I'm just under 5' 10" and I'm happy with that. The heels on the 'Beatle' boots probably made me look about 5' 11" but meant that I was a bit unstable (in posture that is). Hey, it was fashion no matter how ridiculous we looked.. Even Richard wore red corduroy trousers, a velvet jacket and love beads!

Fashions change constantly and what was desirable in the short past is soon undesirable.

When travelling on the subway I notice that most of the commuters spend their time between stops playing with their fancy phones. These things just seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

Many years ago the early models of mobile phones were huge and looked like this:




They called them 'bricks'  for obvious reasons. At first they were a (dubious) status symbol and were ostentatiously plonked on restaurant tables. To be fair though they could hardly go in a pocket.



Over time the phones became smaller to be more practical and every new model was smaller then the previous one.



The phone companies were making a killing with people wanting to upgrade to a smaller model all the time as tiny was the fashion statement of the day.



Eventually the phones became too small to be practical and became too easy to misplace.



With new technology 'smart' phones appeared and they too were small as per the fashion of the time. With all the 'bells and whistles' on them though consumers found that being small was impractical especially when touch-screen models came out.

The movement has been for newer models to have larger screens than the earlier models so, in contrast to the old technology phones with the new technology phones bigger is seen as better and more fashionable.





Plus ca change plus ca meme.

Maybe I'll replace my 'trainers' for Cuban heels when I go out walking.


No comments: