Thursday 15 May 2014

1958

Richard of RBB, in his latest post wittered on about schoool photographs over his years (well he is getting on a bit). It made me think of my old school photographs that have largely disappeared over the years.
I looked up Old Friends on the Trade Me site and found this photograph taken in my first year of school in 1958.

This was Saint Joseph's Primary in Wellington which used to be beside the Basin Reserve. It was my first and only year at Saint Joseph's because it closed down shortly after I arrived and I had to go to Saint Annes's in Newtown.

In the photograph the boys in the front row who were kneeling next to girls had to keep their hands behind them because the nuns were afraid they might try to cop a feel.
One guy (third guy from the right) disregarded this as he was obviously a bit excited. Not me I might add, I am in the middle in the front.

At the end of this year when I was packed off to Saint Anne's the supid bastards put me back into the first class which I thought was a bloody insult having to sit with the babies (5 y.o.'s) when I was 6. Everything was too easy which is probabaly why all through my schooling I was bored and disengaged.

1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Bored and disengaged? No, it was more that you couldn't stop thinking about girls.