Saturday 21 June 2014

ABC

I'm just watching The Desert Fox, the 1951 film about Rommel. It's pretty good, especially for the time it was made.
In the scene I'm just up to (oh the beauty of iPads where you can just pick them up and tap away while watching something else)' a Gestapo agent is about to follow the mayor of Stuttgart.
This Gestapo agent is dressed in the obligatory black leather overcoat and sinister hat.
You know the type.




The question that springs to my mind is why dress like that if you want to follow someone surreptitiously?   What's wrong with a duffel coat or something?

It's obvious really just like knowing that an Oik builds and maintains flugelhorns.

6 comments:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Further on. The mayor ( of Stutgaard) was no dummy and evaded his Gestapo follower in a manner that The French Connection film would be proud ( and probably copied).

Tracey said...

I think a duffle coat would make it look like the mayor was being followed by Paddington Bear, which might be equally suspicious?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Paddington Bear!
I'll have you know that I wore a duffel coat in the 6th and 7th form and felt that I looked really cool.
Admittedly, the 'Beat Generation' Thing had passed by at least a decade by then so yes, maybe I was a bit conspicuous.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I had a duffle coat too. Never wore the hood. My mother eventually removed it for me. Noel used to wear a duffle coat at the beach.

Tracey said...

Did you at any stage have a strange yearning for marmalade sandwiches and thoughts of Peru?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No. It was jam sarnies and Blackpool.