Sunday 24 August 2014

LONG DISTANCE LOVE




Yes, I know the sentiment is different but I've always liked this Little Feat song. So. Why 'Long distance love?
 The Old Girl left for Toronto last night. She has another year there to fulfil her two year contract. I'm staying on here in NZ as I've taken on a new job.

 I've 'had' long distance love before.

 The first circumstance was through a relationship break up with a young woman in Wellington - she took up with a (former) friend of mine. I left Wellington in 1981 but still had feelings for her and we had an on/off relationship until late 1986, her in Wellington and me in Auckland. She went with me to Scotland in 1985 to attend my sister's wedding.

 The second was with another Wellington woman. I had known her in a circle of friends but we became involved in 1984, again in an on/off relationship until 1988 when I met The Old Girl.

 I had other girlfriends in Auckland during these years but I can't say that the relationships were as intense as the long distance ones. We seemed to be forever planning trips to Auckland or to Wellington or arranging to meet in the middle or go away on holiday together. Such fun!

 Since 1988 The Old Girl and I have been together except for a 3 month stint she did in Scotland and last year when she went to Toronto a month before I did. As experienced travellers though our respective jobs took us away from each other for a few weeks at a time - me to Australia, UK, USA and Europe and her to Australia, Philipines, China, Vietnam and other South East Asian countries.

Nowadays telecommunications are so good that we can always talk to each other. I don't think there's ever been a day when either of us has been away that we haven't telephoned. We'll use SKYPE or Facetime.
Ha! A funny thing just happened as I was editing this - a Skype video call came through and it was The Old Girl who had just got to our Toronto apartment (note to self: keep clothes on in case she or someone else calls).




 This will be the longest separation however and will be hard but she will be coming home at Christmas which is only 4 months away (120 sleeps) and then, when returning will only be away for another 5 months after that. Also, as my job will involve travel we are hoping to meet up in NYC, London or even Toronto during this period. We discussed all this in length and decided that as I hadn't found a job in Toronto and was basically going spare doing nothing it was best to take this NZ job. The job is good, pays well and has benefits.; We are mature enough to admit that sometimes in life you just have to 'suck it up' and get on with it. After 26 years and a commitment to spending the rest of our days together, one year isn't going to make much difference.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So who'll cook my dinner now? I'm going to have to get seriously organised now you know! Very inconvenient!

Richard (of RBB) said...

I remember you saying Mrs Palmer was one of your ex-girlfriends for quite a while.
Take care, old friend, time will pass. Come down and stay with us any time in Wellington.

Robert ka kite i nga mea i te rangi said...

I did note one or two ambiguities;
but great to know you are back in Godzone.