Wednesday 15 October 2014

BEING PREPARED

I've become used to apartment living and basically it's not too bad.
Admittedly I've got the house up north to escape to but after living in this Auckland apartment or a couple of years and the Toronto one for a year I've kind of acclimatised.

There are lots of rules and etiquette attached to apartment living that is a bit different from regular living. An example is noise.

The body corporate which governs behaviour and sets rules generally outlaws any noise making that can be heard by your neighbour who most often is on the other side of your walls. This is at any time of night or day.

I'm normally a bit tolerant (yes, I said tolerant) as our apartment is in a university area and I accept that music can be played in the evening. What I'm not tolerant over is when music or noise making goes beyond what is reasonable in terms of volume or time.

Last week the neighbour on the opposite side of our living room wall was playing some diabolical bass music - thump, thump, thump etc quite late. I assumed that he'd give it up and go to bed before midnight but no, the bloody racket went on much later. This was a Wednesday night. I couldn't sleep.
At 2.30AM I got up, got dressed and went around the corridor and banged on the neighbours door. He eventually fronted and I told him how unacceptable his music making was. "Sorry, sorry, sorry " was the reply and, sure enough the music or whatever it was stopped.



There hasn't been a repeat I'm pleased to say but it just might happen again.

This time I'll be ready.

I might ask Richard (of RBB) to make me a tape which I can play.

I'm thinking here of what could be the most annoying possible sounds that I can have in my arsenal to play through the wall in retaliation.

The answer?

Bass solos accompanied by Tibetan throat singing which I understand Richard is learning to do.


This can be made I'm sure with or without doing 360 degrees turns while wearing funny hats.

7 comments:

Robert and the Catholics said...

Good on you for approaching the neighbor and sorting it out.
Bass solos accompanied by Tibetan throat singing? If he leaps of his balcony you might end up in court. But I'm sure the police will bring a high level charge and the jury will let you off!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Mmmm.
You are correct, Second, in alerting me to that danger.
Double bass solos and Tibetan throat singing is clearly unjustified as a defence.
Maybe using a shotgun would be seen as more reasonable.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I agree with you on the stupid approaches that the police pursue.
a good dose of common sense should tell them where they are going wrong.
Maybe we should have joined the Police years ago..

Richard (of RBB) said...

The guy in your picture can evidently sing three notes at once. Start your neighbour on two.

Richard (of RBB) said...

That guy did a great concert with Bela Flek. Check it out on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q50xzhDO9lI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD-VGQGPpZY

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, I've seen that before.
He should have turned his amp down as he was getting a lot of feedback.

I liked his pyjamas better than his singing.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Who is the funny wine guy?