Tuesday 28 October 2014

RENTERS



Unlike Second Fiddle who seems to get a half hour off a year and often then works through that to earn more money to feed his family and dog, I had the long weekend off.

I went up North and back by bus as usual and was collected in my car by our tenant at the other end.
I bought a small car from them which I leave at the house. it's useful for me when I'm staying there.

The weather was superb, especially Sunday morning when I rose early and went for a long walk around the bays before the breeze came up.
This confirmed to me that we made the right decision buying in Whangarei Heads and how much I look forward to getting back there full time.

We have the house rented out but get on really well with the tenants who have invited me to stay anytime I come up. This is manageable because the house is large with two of the bedrooms, an extra bathroom, kitchen and lounge making up the annex or flat at the end of the house. I can then be self-contained but spend a bit of time with them in the main part of the house as well.

They have offered the house to us at Christmas time when they go away for a couple of weeks. This will suit well as The Old Girl will be back from Canada for Christmas/New Year and we'll be able to spend time there with friends.

I watch 'Renters' on TV, a programme about awful tenants who trash the houses they live in and make landlord's lives a misery. It brings home to me how lucky we are with our tenants who not only look after our home but have actually improved it. They have repaired a lot of things, have built a woodshed and keep the trees and garden in good state.


2 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Sounds good. Glad it's all working out well for you.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks Robert.
We were careful in choosing these people and chose to set rent for them at about 60 percent of what we could have got on the open market.
It has paid off.