Sunday 19 October 2014

WEEKEND IN THE CITY

I didn't go up north this weekend as it was my niece's 21st birthday party on Saturday.

She's a great young woman, the youngest of my sister's three girls.
They all are marvellous - well educated, clever and with great natures which gladdens me.

Yesterday was very rainy in Auckland so I stayed indoors  but today, Sunday the weather has improved a bit so I'll have a good walk around.

Walking around is about the only thing you can do for nothing in Auckland. It's getting to be pretty expensive to live here.
The Herald on Sunday announces the massive increases in property values as determined by the city council which of course is accompanied by a massive increase in rates.
The inner city where I live has averaged a value increase of 36%. I'm dreading the next rates bill.



The problem with these capital value (CV) increases is, that while making people feel all warm and fuzzy at their vastly increased (theoretical) wealth the increased rates will increase the cost of goods and services. The little coffee bar or the dairy on the corner will have to pass on the increased cost.
That triple shot caramel and hazelnut latte that you enjoy will soon cost 20 bucks.



We'll need wheelbarrows of cash to go shopping soon.



I just bought a car park in the building where we live.
I guess the 48k we paid for it was worthwhile because the council will be patting me on the back telling me its now worth 65k while slipping an increased rates bill into my pocket.



Anyway, I'm off for a walk in the wonderful Auckland Domain soon and then scooting downtown to pick up a coffee before I need to take out a loan to do so.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

How's the job going?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

So so.
I'll give it to Christmas.

Robert and the Catholics said...

Life is paradoxically a series of unexpected events that do not necessarily give enjoyment.