Saturday 17 January 2015

REGRETS # 2

Ok.
I said that the 'regrets' series came to me while watching The Sopranos.


The sequence was when Tony Soprano was operating a digger (Backhoe in American jargon).


I've never driven a 'backhoe'.

I worked a lot for my father when I was at school and university. He owned a contracting business doing concreting and plaster work on buildings and houses around Wellington. The range of work was great from multi-story buildings down to houses and even coastal boats and ferries. A couple of jobs I really enjoyed were the (late) Ian Athfield houses and the fountain in Oriental Bay.




I used to operate lots of machinery - hoists, trucks, concrete mixers, (and electric jugs for making tea) but never a digger.

I've never had occasion to operate a digger at home. I never owned a house and property until I  met the Old Girl in 1988 and even then she wouldn't allow me to hire one - "I worry when you pick up a hammer or a saw matey" she would say "so heavy machinery is right out."


Bummer.

Maybe one day ....

No comments: