Monday 2 February 2015

A COUPLE OF GRIPES. OK?

Now I don't want you to think that I moan all the time but there are some things that get up my nose.

Here are a couple and I may find others as time goes on. Really.

Escalators.

I don't think that Kiwis understand how to use escalators. Not the getting on or off but I have seen some odd exits,


no I mean the etiquette.

An escalator is essentially a staircase. Just because it's moving doesn't change this fact.
Would you stand still in the middle of an ordinary staircase? I think not so why the fuck do so many people just stand there going up or down escalators. This is particularly irritating on long escalators.



These morons should travel to cities like London. They'd soon find that they'd get shunted out of the way in the Underground.



Debit cards.

Sure, these are a great innovation and has made life so much easier in buying stuff without having to visit the bank in advance. But this shouldn't apply to very small purchases.
I've seen people using a card to buy a bloody ice cream for god's sake.



Last weekend on the return bus from Northland we stopped as usual at the Kaiwaka cafe. The stop is only for 15 minutes and as there were a couple of buses there with resultant long queues it was touch and go whether there would be time for a coffee.
Three people in front of me used cards to purchase small items. One - a coffee. Another - a sausage roll. The third a sandwich and a cup ot tea and held things up further by demanding an itemised receipt.
When I ordered my coffee and paid with cash the assistant was relieved as their card system was slow due to a dodgy phone line.

My observation is that it is mainly younger people who are the ones doing this most.



Us oldies like a bit of cash in our pockets.



4 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Those cards that are just waved over the eftpos are good and I use mine when I can especially when there is a grumpy gent grinding his teeth in my ear.
I hear soon we will touch our phone to the machine, though dairy owners may demand we hand over them before securing the loaf of bread as they do.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The downside to all this easy access to funds and credit is overspending.
People who can least afford it will be using this technology and then getting a hell of a shock at the end of the month.
At present easy access to credit is causing roblems to young people who rack up huge debt in cars, HP's and electronic shit.
In addition to this the easy 'wave' payment you mention means that it will be too easy to make spur of the moment purchases.
Without the card and this technology a lot of the unnecessary shit will stay on shelves.
It's not hard to see who's driving all this under the guise of being a great advantage to the consumer. It's banks and retailer groups.
I believe that if you don't have the cash in your pocket then you really need to rethink the need for that candy bar or packet of cigarettes.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I sometimes pay for little things with my debit card. It's really not such a big deal. I also sometimes stand on the escalator. No need talk because it's already moving.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Best that you don't travel to a big city then country-boy.
The Nuova Lazio mall is enough excitement for you.