Wednesday 11 February 2015

CRANKING IT UP

Richard of RBB, via his late beloved mum, is calling me a crank because I was banging on mentioning what food I eat.

Hey, I like a challenge (sorry Gloria) so I think I'll do a whole series of posts about food.

" The Web community, readers, the reader will probably remember that when I decide to do a series of posts they usually run dry after a couple but this time, hot-diggedy, I'm going to break records"

 Today's important announcement:  CABIN BREAD

Remember Cabin Bread?



This great snack has a history going back to the good old days of sailing ships and global exploration.
The large, basically tasteless, 'hard-tack' biscuit is about twice the size of of a normal water cracker and is thicker.

I was first introduced to them in the late 1970's by a previous girlfriend. I don't know why we never had them at home when we were kids - it's not as if it's a luxury item. My introduction was after the girlfriend and I had been smoking a bit of the green stuff in her mother's garden. When Muriel, her mother (one of my 'mother's-in-law') came home she said:

"You kids look like you need a snack"
Which cracked us up no end (wacky baccy does that to a person as well as giving you the munchies) so we laughed a bit.

I don't think Muriel knew what the joke was but then again, who knows.

The snack consisted of cabin bread lavishly smothered with a chunky tomato relish and then with thick slices of Gouda cheese. Bloody marvellous. This 'snack' could serve as one of the best hors d' oeuvres ever. EVER.

"Well, I did have the 'munchies'"

Since then I've often had a slab of Gouda cheese in the fridge and a supply of cabin bread and a decent relish (often home-made) on hand.

When I looked for cabin bread recently in Countdown I couldn't find any. It'd been eliminated. Bugger!

When next in  New World I had no luck finding cabin bread. Also delisted. Bastards!

These supermarkets (a duopoly unheard of around the world) spend millions of suppliers marketing contributions telling us that they have everything the consumer wants.



Bullshit.

I hope that I can find some in some of the few remaining independent  grocery stores.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Gloria's other famous 'this discussion is now over' saying was, "You're getting a bit kinky."

The great thing about her sayings was that you were not allowed to reply because the discussion was now officially finished. Over. Fine.
Please don't go all kinky on me TC.

Robert and the Catholics said...

I'm into crackers (no pun intended).
Butter on meal mates too.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I'm delighted to announce that this Post made the supermarkets review their decision to destock Cabin Bread and it is now back on shelves albeit the bottom shelf.