Monday 16 February 2015

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

CLICK HERE


 Remember this?

 Status can be very important and you need to get it right if you don't want to have your face slapped.

I've said before that the Old Girl and I have been happily unmarried now for over 27 years. This works very well and as my mother is dead now there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to get married.

There is a niggling problem though and that is in describing our relationship to others, particularly commercial and official agencies.

As I don't refer to her as 'my wife' the usual reference is as 'my partner'.

Depending on the context sometimes it is assumed that she is my business partner. This is not too much of a problem as in addition to being my life partner she is my business partner in that we share all our finances equally.

No, the problem is that sometimes in these enlightened times when I say 'my partner' I can see by the reaction of the querant that it's assumed that I'm an old gay guy and my 'partner' is this person.


4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

In earlier days, judging from the amount of women who you seemed to be with, I always thought you were gay. Thanks for clearing this up.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I used to avoid hanging out with you as I think you (apart from Brother Benedict) was the only guy in Wellington who was seen in even less female company.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I don't remember Second having a woman on each arm.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Who's Second?
I've carried the Virgin Mary on my back though but only very briefly as She insisted on walking to Bethlehem.