Saturday 12 September 2015

OH BROTHER...

My printer exploded when I plugged it in a couple of weeks ago.

This was because it was purchased in Canada and the Canucks use different electrickery to UK.
I had to buy a new printer here and believe me it hasn't been without its problems.

As we don't have a car, when buying larger items that I can't carry on my bike we order on line and have them delivered. I ordered a Brother printer and scanner and waited. And waited days. A week after I'd ordered a printer arrived. Not the one I ordered but a printer nevertheless. It was an Epson. The Brother I ordered cost 49 quid. The Epson, as per the website was worth 200 quid.I should have kept it but, instead rang the supply company and arranged a swap. I waited. I waited several days. A driver turned up to collect the Epson but hadn't brought the replacement.
I rang the company again who told me that they have to receive the item to be swapped back into store first before a replacement could be sent.
By this time I was getting a bit short tempered. I said if I'd known that I would have kept the effing Epson and they wouldn't have been the wiser.
I was promised my printer within two days.
After another week I contacted them again and got the same crap about exchange policy etc (even though it was them who stuffed up the order.
Three days later the printer arrived. Today.

I've spent the best part of the day trying to get the bloody thing to work off my Apple laptop. It won't work via a USB cable which by the way wasn't supplied with the printer and I had to go and buy one for 10 quid!
It won't work via WiFi. It won't bloody work from the Apple computer I use for work.
All recourse to on-line help assistance was to no avail.


Frustrated I felt like chucking the effing thing.



I dug out the old Compaq laptop (which is the only one that I can blog on) and set it up using the supplied disc and it is actually now working.
For any work stuff I do on the Apple I'll have to transfer (risking data corruption) to the Compaq in order to print.

Welcome to the modern world.


2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Reminds me of the old computer term USER FRIENDLY. That should be their benchmark.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

If it's any consolation my HP Deskjet 1510 will not work either since I've reverted to Windows 7.
I think we are headed for a meltdown back to dozens of typists in a typing pool, filing cabinets and the resurrection of fountain pen!