Wednesday 23 March 2016

MUMBLE MUMBLE MUMBLE DA!



I watched Child 44 last night on DVD.



This is based on the first book in a series written by Tom Rob Smith which are very good.
The film has an excellent cast with Tom Hardy leading - I like him - and is pretty gripping.
The cast is mainly British and the actors speak English.
The problem is though that the director decided to make them adopt phony Russian accents as the film is set in Russia in 1953.
The result is incomprehension as the details in the complex plot are lost through the mumblings. If I hadn't read the book I would have been lost.

This is totally unnecessary nowadays. I'd rather that they spoke Russian and there were sub-titles. As it was the mumbling, fuzzy Russian accents in English needed sub-titles.

It was like David McCallum's mumblings as Ilya Kuryakin in that crappy 1960's TV Show The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

"Vis diz beeg veppon I yam dengeruss"



1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ilya wasa ferry kurla.