Tuesday 5 April 2016

WHERE'S MANDY?







I visited the Auckland museum yesterday to see the Air New Zealand 75 years exhibition.

This was pretty interesting and worth a visit if it comes to your home town soon.



I did feel though that there was a bit too much emphasis on the air hostesses (now known as aircrew) uniforms but I suppose this is what attracts the women to the show kind of like wearable Art.



There could have been a bit more on Erebus and a lot more technical stuff on the aircraft over the years but that's just me quibbling.

I really did like the virtual reality set up though. This was in a futuristic mock up of a cabin where passengers had VR goggles for viewing announcements and features. Smart.


With advancements in the technology of glass and plastics it would be great to have airline cabins made of see through (perhaps one-way out) skin so that passengers could get a great view of their travel. It could be dearkened for sleep time and when the sun was too bright. I'd be well up for that.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

I loved the virtual reality flight. Also loved the flying boat cabin .. So roomy! My grandmother talked about trans-Tasman flights in these and it was cool to see what it would have been like. All in all a brilliant exhibition whether you are into planes or not. Lots of 'I remember that' moments.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, I forgot to say that - the 'I remember that' moments.
So much of the displays brought that on.
In the Auckland museum of technology at Western Springs there is an actual Sunderland flying boat all set up with passenger seating. The thing is huge and, as you say, so roomy with dinner place settings. Lovely nostalgia even if it was a generation before me.
I searched the photographs and was sure that I recognised some of the aircrew and certainly remembered the different uniforms.