Sunday 10 July 2016

DIGNITY

I fired up the computer this early afternoon to write a blog post - on something or other when the phone rang. It was Richard (of RBB) who is back in the blogging business under his own name after having taken a dive for a couple of weeks. While talking to him about Lotto dreams, Robert's wife's glossolalia, the problems with elderly aunts and the dumbing down of the Media we got on to the Gervais and Merchant's series Extras.

I remembered that I was going to write a post on an experience at the beginning of last week but couldn't find the appropriate video clip to underscore my experience.

The situation was my attending an Industry seminar in Auckland at a fancy hotel on Monday.
There were a few of my old associates there, along with a lot of new faces I didn't recognise. I've been on the fringe of my previous lifelong Industry employment for about 8 years now, working in a part-time consultation capacity. The yearly event was attended by a disappointingly low number of people but the content was excellent as too was the catering.

After the presentation and the usual gossip sessions the chief organiser, the GM Marketing of the Industry body, pointed to the buffet table with a selection of top quality muffins and said "It's a shame to waste them, please take some away with you". My old mate Tom who I've worked with for several decades (and who is still in a full-time, well paid sinecure) enthusiastically chimed in "great, good idea, we'll be in to that".

I turned around and, as I've been entertaining the Old Girl's 85 year old aunt for the last few weeks and knowing her love of food and treats thought that I'd take back a couple for her. I went to the table and chose a couple of muffins, wrapped them in paper napkins and put them in my jacket pockets.

As I left the table I noticed the GM Marketing, a group of new people I didn't recognise and my old mate Tom all looking at me with looks on their faces ranging from blank to bemused. Bastards!
I immediately thought of that Extras programme where Shaun Williamson ('Barry' from Eastenders), while Ricky Gervais's character was holding him up to the producers as the epitome of integrity and dignity after having left a previous esteemed position, was filling his pockets with cakes, savouries and sweets from the buffet. As they turned to look at him all of the goodies fell out of holes in his pockets. Pathos at its best.


Pity I couldn't find the video link but it was on the Series Two Christmas special I think.



This Post was brought to you by Cragganmore 12 Y.O. Highland Malt Whisky.

1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Great to catch up on the phone. Ciao amico.