Wednesday 21 December 2016

ESSENTIALS

I used to get about with a few dollars folded up in my pocket and some change which was enough to go to the pub, the pictures or out to dinner.

Later on I bought a wallet, a slim leather one that held some paper money, my drivers licence and, eventually, a credit card.



A few years later I added a cash card and maybe some kind of club ID card like Air New Zealand Koru. Soon after came loyalty cards like Farmers, Fly Buys, One Card and a host of others.

Nowadays just about every retail shop you use, organisation you belong to or service provider has given us cards to ID, scan or purchase with. It's getting out of hand.
Yesterday I counted up the cards I had in my wallet (and not the ones that I'd taken out a while ago and put in a drawer). There were twenty one of the suckers. My wallet was groaning. I've got to do some more culling as I can't comfortably get my wallet in my pocket anymore.


The problem is though that Murphy's Law dictates that the card or cards you leave out will be needed at the next purchase, museum visit, rozzers pullover or as access ID.

Now ho metrosexuals like Richard and TSB no doubt carry 'man bags' to put all their stuff in, being organised schoolteachers.



Robert has probably built his own and keeps adding to it.



As for me, I hate those prissy 'man bags' and have to resort to carrying a small back pack wherever I go to carry (now) the wallet, cellphone, car keys, house keys and sundry other bits of essential rubbish.



And to think that I used to mock The Old Girl for her handbag contents.



7 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

No mabag for me.
My check list:
1 handkerchief (right pocket)
1 wallet with 7 cards and sometimes some cash (right pocket)
1 set of keys, 1 car, 1 house, (left pocket)
1 phone (left pocket)
[optionl] 1 small notebook with Italian 'homework' (shirt pocket)

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I can understand you not having a mabag but perhaps you should have a pabag.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I'm forced to wear cargo pants with an extra pocket on each leg
My check list
1 Wallet with 15 cards right top.
1 Combined house,shed,letterbox,car keys, client keys bottom right.
1 Cell phone shirt pocket or top left
1 earphone and reading glasses bottom left. Optional second set of keys.
1 hear brush top left, also optional disposable glove

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Makes sense.
All except the last items though.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Sorry hair brush, the cheap round plastic kind you can only buy from a chemist for $3 then cut of the knob because it sticks into your leg; the glove is in case I have to clean a toilet! Na just kidding it's for touching people after earthquakes.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well, the explanation is just about as nonsensical as the original.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Why on earth carry all that stuff.

Mrs TSB does the heavy lifting via her capacious handbag.

I just carry:
car keys, left trouser pocket
house keys, right trouser pocket, and attached onto a lanyard (I keep the .44 Webley on the other end, just in case I have to go Petone or Porirua)
wallet, 3 cards and driving licence plus $20
mobile phone, left jacket pocket
pen (1 red, 1 black) jacket breast pocket.

I never carry coins, spoils the swing of my strides