Wednesday 18 January 2017

HAROLD, HAROLD, HAROLD......


See here:




Ok. That was a bit silly but I'm surrounded by Harolds up here (and in the Auckland apartment).

The 'Harold' in question is New Zealand artist (and famous eye surgeon) Harold Coop.


Harold Coop with one of his paintings in Auckland Hospital



The Old Girl loves his paintings and has about 15 of them. She loves them so much in fact that she took three of her best favourites with her to Canada and UK as a reminder of New Zealand.
Coop has been painting for five decades now and has painted in watercolour, acrylic and oil amongst other media with different themes. The Old Girl's favourites are the Northland scenes and with pohutakawa especially.

I bought her some new ones off Trade Me for her birthday which I collected today.

The largest is a Northland scene (with pohutakawa) and is slightly impressionistic. It was painted in 1973 so is one of his earliest.

I'll wait until she comes up this weekend to hang it above the fireplace


The other is a triptych of a volcanic scene. These are dramatic and very imposing.

Again, I'll wait until she arrives before hanging them - probably in the snooker room



The paintings are all good in their own right but my personal favourite is this one of a bush scene in West Coast NZ. which is in our bedroom. The sunlight depicted as gold streaks coming down through native bush is magical.






11 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Yes, yes all very well. But those Pohutakawa flowers are the curse of my life. Sea weed is the best comparison! Great clumps off them. Everywhere.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well, all I can say is that if pohutakawa flowers are the biggest curse in your life the you blessed my friend.

Richard (of RBB) said...

They look good to me.

Tracey said...

I really like them. Never understood the tryptic thing though. Why not just paint one long painting, plus a nightmare to hang and get them all exactly even ... I'm sure you are up to the challenge though.

Tracey said...

But now you owe us a Steptoe and Son video, because by the title I was really hoping it would be the one Albert punctures the waterbed just before the Harold brings home his hot date.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Did you click on the compilation link I put in?

Tracey said...

Oh, was that there originally? Well done!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, it was there originally but I just highlighted it.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Pohutakawa flowers are a lot of work.

THE WINE GUY said...

You are starting to sound like a Pohutakawa crank.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Seriously, if you had to fill an entire wheely bin with Pohutakawa flowers once a week would you be concerned. What say your students replaced their guitar strings every hour and you had to pick them all up?