Friday 7 April 2017

DOORSTOPS

There's been overwhelming interest in my recent Windows series of posts. I'm worried about the network crashing. I still have some amazing windows photographs but thought that I'd ease the pressure by doing a post on doorstops.

I've noticed that The Old Girl has a few of these scattered through the house - all different.


This little guy props open the lounge door when required. He does a good job and often goes unrewarded and unremarked. Every now and then I've noticed that the cat gives him a swipe across the face with her paw when she passes. I don't know why.



We use this one for our bedroom door. It's perfectly serviceable even though it's many years old. Given that the Old Girl doesn't let the cat sleep in the bedroom at night though I think that it's a bit of a cheek.



We use this one for the study door. It's made of sold cast metal and is a bugger if you stub your toe on it. Pretty though.




This one is deceptive. It's small but incredibly dense and heavy which is why we use it for the back door which is quite a large door. It can prop open the door on quite windy days if necessary.





This sweet one has been propping open one of the spare bedroom doors but I think that he's mainly decorative. I don't think he'd be able to handle any big draughts.



I was sure that we had more - maybe the Old Girl has taken a couple down to the Auckland apartment.






This one though is holding open the door to the flat sitting room. It's a bit prosaic but it is functional.


I hope that you enjoyed my doorstops. Let me know if there is some other household items you want to see.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Okay, but what could be more exciting than doorstops?
Let's try:
1) Old car jacks in garage
2) Left over paint cans with a little more to offer
3) Old tooth brushes that now have a new duty
4) Old out of commission handkerchiefs
5) Used toilet paper rolls that have been painted up or reused to make Christmas crackers
6) Old discarded men's undies
7) Robert's deleted blog posts
8) Photos of dog shit in parks that owners have not removed.
9) Chairs (like yours) that were blown over in a storm
10) Interesting double bass facts

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks for the suggestions reader.
There are some good ideas here although I do think that a couple are a bit silly.

1) Old car jacks in garage - Yes, I'll try to get some pics. These could be quite artistic.
2) Left over paint cans with a little more to offer - Yes, I have a lot of these in the shed. Different colours too and some old engine oil.
3) Old tooth brushes that now have a new duty - Yes, The Old Girl uses these for household cleaning.
4) Old out of commission handkerchiefs - No, I think that you are fixated on those crusty old handkerchiefs and tissues that you've got stuffed down the side of your bed.
5) Used toilet paper rolls that have been painted up or reused to make Christmas crackers - Yep, I save these for my sister. When you come to visit I'll be able to collect a whole boxful.
6) Old discarded men's undies - No, I never discard old undies. I wear them.
7) Robert's deleted blog posts - Now that's plain silly. There is absolutely no use for Robert's posts, deleted or otherwise.
8) Photos of dog shit in parks that owners have not removed. - Interesting. This was a theme in that outstanding film - Little Murders by Jules Feiffer.
9) Chairs (like yours) that were blown over in a storm - Great idea. I'll save that one for the next storm event.
10) Interesting double bass facts - now I know you're being silly.

Robert and the Catholics said...

Kitchen! Please,please every woman wants to see another's kitchen!
Sent on behalf of Sue.