Wednesday 31 May 2017

AFTER LIFE? WHAT ME WORRY

Richard (of RBB) has been posting about the afterlife on his blog.


HERE

AND HERE

AND HERE AGAIN


Naturally he doesn't fare as well as Robert does with a kind of role reversal where Richard has to do the commercial cleaning jobs and clean up Robert's shit albeit spiritual shit. At least he doesn't write poetry though. Thank 'heaven' for small mercies

While it is obviously the ravings of a disturbed mind fantasy I did like his description of heaven as a collection point for souls from planets (plural). Earth then is a kind of feeder planet to heaven. Nice that.

I really don't think that he addressed hell properly though.

Hell,
Bottom floor,
End of the Universe.


Maybe it's because he's a bit sensitive over this given his past indiscretions. Robert has told him many times over that God (Robert's god) will forgive anything as long as you repent before dying. I guess that's fine when you linger in bed before popping your clogs but it's a bit tough on the guys who get hit by a bus.



I don't think that I ever grasped the idea of heaven and hell (and all the other weird middle stages that religious nutters with too much time on their hands dreamed up like purgatory and limbo).
It was promulgated to me in a force-feeding manner by nuns, brothers and priests during my schooling but it just didn't make sense.

 Luckily for me the religious scene at home was ambiguous to weak. My mother was a Catholic coming from an Irish/English background. My father was (once) a Methodist coming from a Scottish background with a bit of Irish thrown in which brought a hint of Catholicism. At home when my brother and sisters and I complained about having to go to Sunday Mass when our father didn't our mother would say that he was a heathen and would go to hell.
I think she said this for a laugh as she wasn't all that staunch (although she did put out Saint Joseph statues in the garden the night before a wedding or family event in the hope of good weather. Maybe she was a Gypsy.)



5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Did you delete all your comments too?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Oops, sorry how embarrassing, I just realised you didn't get any. Never mind, chin up.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Oops sorry I was going to write one...

You say
"I don't think that I ever grasped the idea of heaven and hell (and all the other weird middle stages that religious nutters with too much time on their hands dreamed up like purgatory and limbo).
It was promulgated to me in a force-feeding manner by nuns, brothers and priests during my schooling but it just didn't make sense."

What you meant to say was
"I have a difficulty understanding basic ideas.To compensate I shout and vituperate people who do not speak down to my level".
It's a common problem with atheists!

Richard (of RBB) said...

A common problem with Christians is that they believe stuff without any evidence based on some old book written by primitive people who had no idea about basic hygiene, simple pain relief or how to treat everyone fairly. How dare you attack atheists when you base your beliefs on fantasy!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Mmm, interesting Second.

1. I don't think that 'vituperate' is in your normal vocabulary, it's certainly not in mine. Are you sure you didn't mean 'vitiate'?

2. You say "speak down to my level". That's a bit self-effacing isn't it or the person who provided the quotation knows that he or she is speaking from an inferior position.

Just saying. (Vitriol springs to mind).