Wednesday 7 June 2017

DIT DIT DIT DAH





I watched The Longest Day last night, the 1962 film that has left a lasting impression on me. I was about 11 or so when I watched it as I used to love going along to all the big films of the day. See here:



It was a big American production of the 60's so can be expected to be full of crap like:


  • Using big name actors even though they are past their 'use-by date'
  • Using actors who are patently too old for the parts
  • Using contemporary 'pop 'star's who can't act
  • Using flippancy and humour in situations that don't call for it
  • Overdoing the pathos
  • Inserting actual anecdotes that when acted seem a bit glib

But...... the film used more than one director and the British and German sequences are particularly good.

For its time the action sequences are marvellous - made before computer animation and enhancement.
I recommend this film.

.................................................................................................................................................................

Inspired, I today started re-reading Antony Beevor's D-DAY - The Battle for Normandy.




I like Beevor's books. They are histories, researched and presented as such but written in an interesting and readable style. I've read a few of his - Stalingrad, Berlin, Paris After the Liberation, The Battle of Crete, The Battle for Spain and others.

This is good stuff and at 591 pages should keep me occupied for a few days (now that I'm nearly unemployed). And, yes Richard and Robert, there are pictures in it.

7 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good that there are pictures because you won't need to try and find the relevant Classic Comic.

Richard (of RBB) said...

By the way, DIT DIT DIT DAH just doesn't work for Beethoven.
DAH DAH DAH DAAAAAA
Eb Eb Eb C

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I prefer 'Eb Eb Eb Ceeeee'

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

What a great theme song it had too in Eb
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ7hYEJt2UY

Did Beethoven right the fifth in Eb too?

Richard (of RBB) said...

C minor

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'm talking about the famous opening riff - C minor.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Yes thank you. I was just curious and knew you would know!