Thursday 24 August 2017

CLASSY

I'd lost hope recently that the UK could produce television dramas of the quality of those that we had in the 1970s and 1980s.
I remember being gobsmacked when watching Brideshead Revisited in the early 1980s. The sumptuousness, attention to detail and dedication to time and place was breathtaking. A couple of years ago I visited Castle Howard which was central to the story and recalled some of the great scenes.

CASTLE HOWARD

Tonight I watched the first programme in the new series on Lightbox  - Decline and Fall (coincidentally also from a novel of Evelyn Waugh). It reminded me of Brideshead and from the very first scene I knew that I was going to be hooked.



I've been a reader and lover of Waugh's novels for many years and am pleased when film-makers get it just right. Series like this are a delight to watch and it's great looking forward to watching the next episode.

I know that I won't be disappointed with the remaining episodes.

If you have access to Lightbox this is well worth seeking out.
Richard will appreciate this quote from the school headmaster when interviewing new teacher Pennyfeather:

"I've been in the scholastic profession long enough to know that nobody enters it unless he has some very good reasons that he is anxious to conceal"

I really hope that the producers go on to film more of Waugh's books.



1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

"I've been in the scholastic profession long enough to know that nobody enters it unless he has some very good reasons that he is anxious to conceal" Brother Benedict could have said that.