Monday 7 August 2017

IT'S PETER HERE, PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE




I bought a new phone system using a Fly Buys discount.
The new system is a Uniden DECT 1735 + 1.
The + 1 means that there are two handsets with it. I don't know what 'DECT' means.



The old system that crapped out last week was also a Uniden. A Uniden + 2. The smart and alert reader will guess that + 2 means there were two extra handsets with that system. For Richard and Robert - there were two extra handsets with that system.

As the two systems are from the same manufacturer I may be able to combine them and have a system with 5 handsets. Wow! But then I'm rubbish at installing and managing technology. I told you before that I'm a Luddite.

LUDDITES

I installed the new system or at least plugged it in and got it going but we had some problem with the phone line. We're with Sparks and I've had problems with them before. They used to be known as Telecom. I think Noel* and Colin work or used to work for them so I should have been warned.
Richard had problems with his telecommunications provider which told him that it could cost him $150 to fix a fault on their bloody line. The guy I called acknowledged that there was a fault but hinted at the same possibility of it costing me. He wanted me to disconnect the Broadband. As the Broadband is actually working properly at long last I was not in a hurry to do this. The phone line came right on its own a day later albeit being a bit scratchy but then, so am I.

I recently reduced the Broadband contract from unlimited down to 25GB and at the same time cancelled the Call Minder rort that they have going. This saves me about $20 a month ($240 a year!) so instead of the outrageous $117 a month we pay the new cost will only be a usurious $97 a month for Broadband and landline.

You'd kind of expect a nice clear line for that wouldn't you?






* Not Noel the pencil.

1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yeah, I'm with Sparks too. It's supposed to be dealt with by now, but no word. What the fuck do you want more than one cordless phone for? It just means that Lyn will pick the second up while you're having a man conversation* with someone.



* Man conversation = skimming over facts and stuff - not going into woman level detail