Saturday 5 August 2017

WILL YOU STILL NEED ME .....






Well The Od Girl passed the test over the last year. She still needs me and still feeds me.

I'm turning 65 on Tuesday next week. I wonder if there is a song for that?

As The Old Girl is in Auckland next week we're having my birthday tea tonight. My favourite - beef schnitzel, roast potatoes and a green vegetable. Yummy.



We don't do schnitzel like the Nazis Austrians and Swiss who kill baby calves that are ripped from their mothers teats (milk-fed). I buy a good piece of fillet beef (Eye or Scotch) and slice it thinly for schnitzel which is then coated in milk, flour, beaten egg and a breadcrumb/Parmesan mixture. A trick for slicing thin and evenly is to partly freeze the meat before slicing.

I normally cook on Saturday nights but as it's my birthday treat The Old Girl is doing it. This is good as she's a much better cook than me. I tend to be a bit slap-dash.



We've just opened a bottle of sparkling wine - Deutz Blanc de Blanc (it's after 5pm after all). This is great wine. Usual retail price is over $40. I wait until it's on deep-cut special somewhere and buy a half dozen bottles. This one cost me $23. Delicious.



We'll eat around 7pm and might have a decent bottle of Pinot Noir with the meal. Either that or some of the chardonnay we have open in the fridge for me and pinot gris for her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Old Girl was given a bottle of Pegasus Bay Pinot Noir last week from one of her bosses at work for some extra work she did. This is a stunning wine that's usually above my price bracket.



She forgot to bring it up here this weekend. I told her to keep it in the apartment in Auckland and sip away at it during the week but she insists on us sharing it. I didn't argue too strongly.
She's going to bring it up with her next weekend and she says that since my birthday is in the middle of the week we can have another birthday tea next Saturday.

Now, what will I have?
Maybe beef schnitzel, roast potatoes and a green vegetable.



2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Happy birthday old chap. I hope the week treats you well. Have lots of little treats and enjoy. I'll be thinking of you. Buon compleanno. Auguri. Take care amico speciale. Robert will pray for you. Though I could be wrong.

Robert ka kite i nga mea i te rangi said...

Yes schnitzel and deutz would be my choice too. Have a very happy birthday.