Tuesday 19 September 2017

CONNECTIONS

I was born in 1952.

I first heard REM's E Bow-The Letter in 1996. It had immediate resonance for me.
Why? I'm really not sure, but I was 8 years into my relationship with Lynn (The Old Girl) and the music and lyrics just hit the spot for me.


Lynn and I have now been together for nearly 30 years. We are still going strong and getting stronger.

I was once a christian - or, more correctly, was brought up as one not by choice but because my parents said they were and sent me to Catholic schools - and I once dabbled in the occult (astrology and Tarot but mainly because a young woman I fancied was doing it) so have some sort of lingering 'it must be ordained' belief in my subconscious. To this end I guess I can give a nod to Kismet and Serendipity and say that The Old Girl and I were always going to get together.

Well, that's whimsical but nice to think of.

What is serendipitous is the fact that E Bow-the letter which I like features not only REM and Michael Stipes who are superb but one of my all-time favourites Patti Smith.

I trawled the 'net tonight and found this:


A LATER LIVE VERSION OF E-BOW-THE LETTER WITH REM AND PATTI SMITH

Magic.

2 comments:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well that was frickin' serendipitous.
I'd just finished posting this and The Old Girl called (via FaceTime) form Toronto where she's been for the last two weeks. 6AM for her - 10PM here.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Yes I've found that two people who are close somehow pick up on each others emotions and thoughts!