Wednesday 20 September 2017

DISCONNECTION





I remember in the early 1970's, trying to explain to Richard why I thought that the Roxy Music song If There Is Something was so good and how I really liked the three parts to the song connected by piano bass-guitar and saxophone.


IF THERE IS SOMETHING - ROXY MUSIC

We were at Tony's place in Hargreaves street listening to the album and Richard (being Richard) was listening closely and dissecting it. He was at this time studying Pendrecki at university. To get a sense of what Penderecki sounds like pull out the cutlery drawer in your kitchen and let the whole lot fall on the floor.

MUSIC THAT RICHARD USED TO LISTEN TO

Richard didn't really get the Roxy Music song. He didn't connect with it.

************************


I connected with it.
At the time I was head over heels with a young woman who was in my French and English classes at university. Her name was Robyn Westbury and she was beautiful - way out of my league. I mooned over her:


NOT LIKE THIS!







MORE LIKE THIS



I remember once sitting in the library. I was at a reading table and was leaning way back in my chair which I had tilted at a critical angle. I was daydreaming as usual when Robyn came up to me, tapped me on the shoulder and asked me a question about the English course. I got such a shock that the chair toppled back and she was just able to stop me falling to the floor. Boy I was embarrassed.
Nothing came of this infatuation but recently I've thought that maybe she was interested in me.

Anyway

CRASH


3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I think you've left it a bit late with Robyn. She's probably a grandmother by now.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I'm no spring-chicken you know.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

But I'm certain that Lynn wouldn't give me permission.