Tuesday 17 October 2017

KEEPING BUSY

For those of us who have reached that magic age of 65 when we receive government superannuation, a gold card, free public transport, cinema discounts and other things - life is pretty good right now. The challenge will be to keep our health and with luck our earnings in order for us to enjoy the moment.

***********************

Most of us will have earned our current situation. While not one of limitless wealth and splendour, hopefully it will be an opportunity to enjoy our 'golden' years and do things we really want to do without being beholden to an employer and to do so affordably.
Robert has stated that he doesn't believe in unemployment and will work until they put him in a box. That's OK, he's entitled to his own life preferences but he shouldn't adopt  a 'holier than thou' attitude in expounding this. People at age 65 who elect (or more usually have the decision thrust on them) to give up working are not lazy. They're not a burden on society. They are not useless. They in fact are usually the demographic who vote, take an interest in civics, are watchdogs against crime, littering, social infractions and generally have life and business experience that is useful to younger generations. I know myself that for 35 years I worked long hours, in the later years in positions of high responsibility and stress. I was lucky to have stepped off the treadmill at age 55 and then worked mainly part time for the next 10 years but know that I've contributed and have nothing to feel guilty for.

************************

We all have our own ways of relaxing and/or making best use of our time. Some old geezers like to do home maintenance, some are artistic in fine arts, music or literature. Some, like me, are a bit lazy and useless at home-handyman stuff and  have no musical ability but still know how to make use of their time.

I belong to a couple of worthwhile community groups and volunteer my time to help where needed.
After this I've decided to take advantage of being able to do what I want and when I want and I go:

Walking.



We have plenty of pleasant coastal walks where I live from easy gradients to some pretty steep, bush-bashing stuff. I can mix it up as much as I feel like (health and fitness permitting). I should ideally walk every day but try and make sure that it is at least every other day.


Golfing




I pay a 9 hole membership at the local golf course which allows me on to the course any day of the week. I very rarely play with anyone else, preferring to go out on my own and play anything from 5 to 9 holes depending on how much time I have allocated myself. I try and play any individual hole better than I last did. I find this to be as good a challenge as playing a game with others.  The golf course is by the sea and has outstanding views from most fairways.


Tennis




I play tennis twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I haven't yet recovered the skills I had when I played tennis at secondary school many years ago but I'm getting better. The local club is made up of oldies so we are all a bit similar in playing ability. The set up is great with two courts in play and doubles being played. After each single game everyone moves around one spot. This mixes and matches and doesn't create disillusionment by someone losing a set 6 games to love.


Bowls




I've just joined the local bowls club. I've never belonged to a bowling club before but have played bowls. I used to have a 'roll-up' with my parents years ago and, when I managed Wine and Spirit Merchants in Auckland in the 1980s, and as these sponsored many bowling clubs, I used to play in the odd club tournament. I was pretty good. When I played my first game for over 30 years last week I performed well enough to be asked to play in weekly tournaments. I refused though as I don't want to spend a whole day playing bowls, I like to, just like with golf and tennis, have a bit of fun for a couple of hours.


Reading




I have more time to read what I want now that I'm not working. I get through at least one book a week sometimes more. I download books through Overdrive - on an iPad App for free. This gives me access to all eBooks in the Auckland library collection and I can generally find what I want immediately or after a short wait. I also download Audio books to my iPhone also from Auckland library via Overdrive. I listen to these when driving or when I go to Auckland on the bus.



Wine drinking



While I'm not drinking any more wine now that I'm retired I'm not drinking any less and this is too a nice way to relax and spend my time. I don't just guzzle the stuff as I have a lifetime interest (work and hobby) in wine and like to take time to evaluate what I've opened. Admittedly I don't get to try the wines of high quality I did in the past (and which were invariably free by way of samples and wine allowances) but I do try and 'pick the eyes out' of supermarket and on-line sales.


This brings me to the activity I usually avoid but which needs doing. I don't leave it as long as house maintenance and home-handyman jobs but this one has to be done fairly regularly.

Gardening




Gardening encompasses lawn-mowing, tree trimming and weeding as well as proactively planting flowers herbs and vegetables. I don't get any pleasure, as some people do in the act of gardening but must admit to a feeling of satisfaction after a stint in the garden which results in everything looking tidier. This always deserves a reward which brings us back to:



Wine drinking







10 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good on you. Enjoy your twilight years. I intend to when I reach your grand old age!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

You young whippersnappers - you don't know how good you have it.
When I was your age........

Richard (of RBB) said...

12 days is a lifetime for some insects.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Ephemeral.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Ephesians.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he[b] predestined us for adoption to sonship[c] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Fuck!
I shouldn't have mentioned the bloody Ephesians.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Ephesus.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Destroyed by an earthquake in 614 AD!
Though I could be wrong.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Ephedrine.