Thursday 5 October 2017

WOW!

I'm watching the Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary series (TV One On Demand).



This is very good stuff as you would expect from Burns who created that outstanding documentary series The Civil War.




Now not everyone, especially in America likes Ken Burns but what I like about this documentary is the balance. It seems to me in this that American documentary filmmaking has 'grown up'. There are as many interviews and insights with and from North and South Vietnamese people including soldiers and citizens who lived and fought through the war period (NVLA and Viet Cong included) as there are interviews and recollections from American soldiers, politicians and family members of ex soldiers. The historical footage and analysis is great. I endorse you to watch this series (nightly on TV One but can be watched on TV On Demand at your leisure).

When I've watched the entire series I might try and put my thoughts down. I'm 3 episodes in so far (to 1965/66) and it is stirring up memories.

No comments: