Tuesday 7 November 2017

CHANGING OF THE GUARDS






OK, I know it's a Bob Dylan song but Patti Smith performs it so much better than he ever did.

************************

There's lots of discoveries in growing older. Things that were taken for granted years ago now have to be analysed and decisions made that may be different than those that would have been taken 20 years ago. While inside I feel no different than I was in my 20s, in reality I am, to outward appearances, an old fart. I'm retired, pensioned and getting a bit creaky. The hair started to go a while ago so that's not a biggy but shortness of breath, the odd feeling of faintness, new and unusual pains and niggles and slight deafness are all new and real. 

One good thing though is the older I get my eyesight gets better! People who have never had to wear corrective glasses are going in the opposite direction. I'll get the better of those pricks who 'wittily' called people like me 'four eyes' when we were teenagers will have the joke on them when we are all 100!



****************************

Listening to our new Prime Minister Jacinda Ahern on the radio yesterday brought the 'changing of the guards' home to me. In the most recent and older past, Prime Ministers were always older than me (apart from that prat John Key who I never really recognised as my PM). People in positions of power and influence were always my age or older. 




But I'm bigger than that.
I've just got to now have trust and faith in the new generations coming forward who are adopting the mantle.







9 comments:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

When you click on and watch Patti Smith's performance, scroll through to the interview with her on Scavlan. This us one of the best interviews I've seen with a 'rock' performer. It is honest and moving.

GOOD KIWI BLOKE said...

Mate! Good post.
Look, I heard about the Inc. I want to join in.
Giz a bell when you can.
GKB

ZWEITE GEIGE said...

Hey! Count me in too.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I would not rely on the younger people.
They are governed by their brains until about 25 to be selfish and unreal.
Pray to the Holy Spirit.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Pray to the Holy Spirit?

No, why not tell hime/her/it a religious joke instead:

Mother Superior calls all the nuns together and says to them: "I must tell you all something. We have a case of gonorrhea in the convent."

"Thank God," says an elderly nun at the back of the room, "I'm so tired of Chardonnay."

THE CURMUDGEON said...


"I would not rely on the younger people." - said Robert
but HE ALONE WHO OWNS THE YOUTH GAINS THE FUTURE

See here:

http://jesusthekid3.blogspot.co.nz/2011/04/he-alone-who-owns-youth-gains-future.html

Angry Jesus said...

The Nazi is back! Will he make it into The Clan of Curmudgeons?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

CURMUDGEONS INC. tries to keep an open mind when it comes to people's past. We, like the Catholic Church believe everyone needs a second chance otherwise how would have Pope Benedict XVI ever have been elected Pope?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Okay, good point, but don't let it go to your head.