Monday 9 September 2013

"BRING THREE AND FOURPENCE WE'RE GOING TO A DANCE"

We went to Niagara yesterday for the first time. The falls are impressive with millions of tons of water thundering down.

Horseshoe Falls (Canada side)

Even though it was raining we spent a couple of hours wandering along the edge looking at the three falls and down at the river below the Horseshoe Falls (the biggest and most impressive).
A tourist boat was making for the base of the falls and even though this was huge with a great number of people on it, it looked like a small cork in the churning water.





We opted for the walk behind the falls rather than the boat ride as we'd done  similar boat ride below the Huka Falls and all you see is mist and spray. I'm glad that we did because it was great. We went a long way down in a lift and along tunnels below the falls. There were viewing chutes dotted along where you can stand just behind the water.


A solid wall of water blocks the exit
We went out onto a viewing platform at the edge of the centre of the falls. The spray was intense and you could just about lean out and touch the water (I didn't).





First 'selfie' with i-phone - not quite right





No, not quite ....





This'll have to do




The noise of the water was deafening, so much that when I said to The Old Girl "Will you marry me?" she replied "What! Of course not!" When I asked why not she realised she had misheard me and said she thought I asked "Are you mad at me?" I then told her what I'd asked but said that the moment had passed and won't come again for another 25 years. We'll have to revisit Niagara when I'm 85.




No comments: