Thursday 10 August 2017

HOW TO REALLY PLAY TENNIS



O Dear. That old retired guy in Nuova Lazio has been at it again.
This time he's written a Post on how to play tennis. See here:


It's just so wrong on many levels.

He didn't even bother to inform that the rectangle aka the tennis court has to have lines painted on it. This is to indicate whether the ball is 'in' or 'out'. Without this then scoring will just depend on whether the ball gets over the net or not. The painted lines have to be painted for single play and for double play but I won't go into this too much as I'm still flabbergasted that he didn't mention the lines at all.



This was really, really sloppy reporting.

Tennis can be played with two people (singles) or 4 people (doubles). Singles means two females or two males playing. Doubles is four females or four males playing. with me so far? There is also 'mixed doubles' where, on each side there is one female and one male playing as a team. In case you are wondering there is no 'mixed singles'.

At the tennis club I play at each week we have a mish-mash of males and females all over the place. You can have two men on one side vs two women on the other; one of each sex at each end; two women vs one man and one woman etc.etc. We are fairly casual.

Tennis can be strenuous and there can be casualties - twisted ankles, bursitis, scrapes and scratches etc but, to my knowledge not a lot of STDs even with the naughty 'mixing of the sexes'.

This morning I had to bow out. After a couple of games I went all dizzy and almost fell over. Everyone was concerned. I suffer from arrhythmia - irregular heartbeat - so it could have been that. More likely is the fact that last night I had a migraine and took some strong medication for it. As I haven't been sleeping well recently I also took a sleeping tablet last night. The cocktail of drugs in my system might have been the reason for the dizziness.

I didn't tell the others this. Doping in sport is frowned upon don't you know.



To give Richard (of RBB) credit he did make a passing reference to the fact that a playing partner can be a woman.
Here is what a woman tennis player looks like:



7 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Look after yourself old friend. None of us are getting younger.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I do teach you stuff. Take care.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hope you're feeling better today.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Yes.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes thanks.
Lynn came up today and is staying through to Tuesday so if I keel over she'll be there to pick me up.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hopefully.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good.