Tuesday 1 June 2010

ORCA



The rain abated this afternoon so I went off to play golf but discovered that the course was closed. The rain had been so heavy that water lay on some of the fairways in sheets. The wind had dropped and the bay was calm again so I went out in my kayak looking for Putita. Putita is the young Orca that lives around here and which got stranded at Ruakaka last week. Rescuers managed to free him and he joined his mother Yin and brother Rua who were waiting anxiously nearby url. The three of them hunt in the Whangarei Heads area and up and down the coast. They are beautiful creatures and it is no wonder that people go out to help them when they are in trouble. A couple of years ago the Old Girl and I were at Ocean Beach. It was May so I was too wimpy to go into the surf but the Old Girl did. She was body surfing and generally enjoying herself so didn't notice the pod of Orca (about 6 of them) swimming past not too far away from her. From the beach I waved frantically to get her attention. She just waved back and missed seeing them.

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

An orca is basically a shark with lungs - watch out.

Anonymous said...

"The rain abated this afternoon so I went off to play golf but discovered that the course was closed"
Get "Tiger Woods 2" for your playstation. I downloaded the demo on my xbox 360 today. It feels very real!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I have really liked TW 2005.
I have TW 2006 (hardly ever played it) and TW 2007 whivh I have just started playing again. It is absolute rubbish. All the settings are different, its impossible to putt properly and some of the corses are rubbish. Why the idioy designers decided to change so much I'll never know. What is TW2?

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Watch the Orcas. They have a reputation for never harming a human. But maybe they're so intelligent that they only kill us when they're sure nobody's looking

Is the rain warmer up in the North?
and I though they called it the winterless north?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The weather up here is unusual. We have had very heavy rain and thunderstorms. These last for a day and a bit and then we get a couple of days of stunningly good weather - clear skies, sunshine, no wind - good enough to swim, golf, garden, whatever.
I'm taking advantage of today's very good spell and clearing away garden rubbish and taking it to the tip. Oh, and I might play a couple of holes at the local golf course on the way back.

Anonymous said...

"What is TW2"
Just another silly game.