Thursday 3 June 2010

BALLS


I've played golf 3 times this week. I don't get any better overall but I do play some stunning shots now and then and manage to put it together for the occasional hole scoring pars and even birdies. I lack the concentration and stamina to be able to complete a round with a decent score though. I usually play about 7 holes before getting distracted. My major distraction other than the pleasant walk and stunning views at my local golf course is the thrill of finding golf balls. I have plenty of golf balls. I don't need any more. I have enough to see me out even at the rate I lose them. The excitement I get in spying a shiny golf ball in a creek, in a pond, in the marshes or in the high grass is ridiculous given the value of them. It stems back to when I was a kid and couldn't afford to buy a new golf ball. I used to fossick in the gorse and bushes at Berhampore Golf Course to find some to play with. The thrill I got back then in finding a ball, especially a new one was great but no greater than the thrill I still get today.

5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I remember going to Berhampore to play with Noel, A.G. and yourself. A.G. had a set of clubs with wooden handles. Before the game could start, we all needed to find a ball. I sucked at golf and didn't like it. Finding the balls didn't really do it for me either. Perhaps that's why I took up the double bass - well, they're hard to lose and easy to find.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I played 7 holes today and found some more golf balls. One of them was green. GREEN! What idiot designed a green golf ball? No wonder the previous owner couldn't find it.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I remember that Richard. The sight of Noel, all 5 feet nothing of him dressed for golf in his army surplus greatcoat would have been enough to send the Nike or Adidas designers packing.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Sorry, the quote tags deleted vital data.

"...found some more golf balls. One of them was green, GREEN"

Perhaps it fell off an unripe golfer?

Your description of a 5 foot golfer in an ex-army greatcoat reminded me of the funniest golf game I've ever read.
"McAuslan in the Rough" by George MacDonald Fraser.
Well worth a read.