Saturday 28 July 2012

KEEPING TABS

Last night, before we went to see a film at the Film Festival we called in to the Crowne Plaza lobby bar for a glass of wine.

Crowne Plaza Aria bar

The Crowne Plaza is a pretty good Auckland hotel and the bar is well appointed and has a good wine list.

'Good evening" said the barman to The Old Girl.
 "Evening" she said "I'll have my usual".

I looked at her thinking she was taking the piss but the barman said
"Certainly Madam" and took a bottle of Deutz Rose out of the fridge.
"Put them on my tab" she said, referring to her glass of bubbles and my glass of red wine.

I was gobsmacked. I looked at her a little bit closer.
"The usual?" I asked.
"Yes" she said "they know me here"

Now should I be worried?


The Crowne Plaza is just across the road from where she works and is the place that The Old Girl and her colleagues meet for a glass of wine from time to time. She always orders the Deutz Rose ( a particularly well made New Zealand Methode Champenoise) and engages the staff in conversation so they remember her. Its nice to see good personalised service in a large and busy establishment.

I looked at her closely though. "The usual!'

Still, its her business what she does.

3 comments:

Tracey said...

And a distinct saving for you to be able to use her 'tab'!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

You're on to it Tracey. The red wine I had was an expensive waiheke island one.

Richard (of RBB) said...

The usual? What's going on up there? I just read your latest post too!